Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 17:29:04 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com>
To:        Matthew Kott <kottm@pfizer.co.jp>
Cc:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help! Cannot install from Adaptec AHA-2940AU PCI Ultra SCSI

> I have been attempting, with no progress to install FreeBSD. I am
> trying to install from the Walnut Creek CD, 2.1 Release.
     [ ... ]
> Mother board: Iwill P55TV, built in Adaptec PCI Ultra SCSI (AIC 7860
> chip) which is the same as Adaptec AHA-2940AU PCI SCSI controller.

     I don't think this is the same as a 2940.  It's an Adaptec chip,
and may have similar functionality to a 2940, but I don't think it's the
same as a 2940.  I've seen claims of it being a "2940", but I haven't
seen that claim in a while (which makes me think that Adaptec maybe
threatened legal action against someone making questionable claims --
does anyone have any real information?).

     If you're lucky, you can install 2.1.5 (2.1 will not work).  The
2.1.5 release has support for the AIC 7850 controller, and so it may
also work with your 7860 (how similar are these chips?).

     -- Darryl Okahata
	Internet: darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.