Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2008 21:01:34 -0700
From:      Predrag Punosevac <punosevac@math.arizona.edu>
To:        Bernt Hansson <bernt@bah.homeip.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB printer

Bernt Hansson wrote:
> punosevac@math.arizona.edu skrev:

>>> Can one use a ppd-file with lpd/lpr?
>
>> Of course. A sample printcap file
>>
>> lp|OfficeJet:\
>>     :lp=/dev/ulpt0:\
>>     :af=/etc/foomatic/HP-OfficeJet_4110-hpijs.ppd:\
>>     :if=/usr/local/bin/foomatic-rip:\
>>     :sd=/var/spool/lpd/OfficeJet:\
>>     :sh:
>
> I'm not using foomatic but the ppd-file from HP for LJ2100, 2200, 4050
> and 8000 is that still possible? They all speak postscript.
Well if you want to use your printers in PostScript mode you can just
send row .ps file and it should print i.e.
you can remove the af and if lines from the printcap and should work.

Now what about other file types?

Lets have a second look for instance at LJ2100.

According to Linux Printing Database (which is the one
we also use in BSD world)

http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_2100

the recommended way of using for instance LJ2100 is via Printer Command
Language 5 or 6
i.e. you need a driver. The recommended driver for LJ2100 is  pxlmono
which is build in  Ghostscript.
If you use printer with Apsfilter you can just select the driver. Files
of any type should be printed no question asked.

 If you use PPD file and fomatic-rip filter as
in the above printcap example the jobs would be passed through pxlmono
driver.
You may send to printer ps or non ps files (pdf, dvi, gif, html) and
everything should work no question asked.

The printer will work eight other drivers.

Now the final question is probably that there is custom PPD vile for
PostScript mode according to the same
Database.
I think that that one is only relevant for CUPS as PPD files are used
via IPP (only spoken by CUPS) to fake real communication with the
device and show things like printer status. I am not 100% sure but I
think that PPD file is
what one would call CUPS-PPD file. If you send let say .pdf file that
PPD file probably will tell CUPS how to
pass pdf file through GhostScript and create ps version and then print
it. I am not sure if it going to be useful with
LPD. Of course in the case you do not have any filters in your printcap
you can send only ps files to printer.

You can play on the following way. Remove the if (input filter line from
your printcap file) and keep af but put
that particular custom PPD file which is used for PostScript mode. Try
to send ps and pdf file. If it prints only ps
file that means that PPD  does nothing for LPD if it can print pdf files
that means that is usable with LPD.

I personally use most printers in PCL mode just because I have lots of
different mish-mash printer non of which speaks
full PostScript language.

Cheers,
Predrag