Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 17:47:22 +0100
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Kresimir Kumericki <kkumer@phy.hr>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "cannot execute identd" log message?

On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 01:47:14PM +0200, Kresimir Kumericki wrote:
>  Since I updated to 4.4-R every day I find the following lines in
> logs of one of my macines:
>
> inetd[48655]: cannot execute /usr/local/sbin/identd: No such file or directory
> [repeats many times]
> inetd[172]: auth/tcp server failing (looping), service terminated
>
>  I don't have identd installed so I understand that inetd cannot
> execute it, but my problem is that I don't understand why is it trying
> to execute it in the first place since all auth/identd lines in my
> /etc/inetd.conf are commented out. Only services that are not commented
> out are ftp,finger,comsat and ntalk. Any clues?

Could you have had identd commented in at some stage recently and
forgotten to comment it out again? This would seem like the most
likely cause. Otherwise, check what arguments inetd is running with

	ps -auxwww | fgrep inetd

make sure you get the one with PID 172 in this case. Maybe someone
is running one which is configured to run from a different config
file. You could also use "sockstat" to find out if inetd is providing
any other services which you don't expect it to.

(As an aside, there is a small identd built in to FreeBSD's version
of inetd which it can be told to use instead of an external one).

	David.