Date:      Tue, 04 Mar 2008 07:17:12 -0600
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        philip@ridecharge.com, FreeBSD-Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Uname borked on ??-Release...

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> Kevin Kinsey wrote:

>>> Possibly you have 6.x sources still.  Or you are not actually booting
>>> /boot/kernel/kernel but some other kernel.  Check sysctl
>>> kern.bootfile.  You can also do
>>>
>>> strings /boot/kernel/kernel | grep 7.0-RELEASE
>>>
>>> to verify the kernel version string.
>>

>> #sysctl kern.bootfile
>> kern.bootfile: /boot/kernel/kernel
>>
>> #strings /boot/kernel/kernel | grep 0-RELEASE
>> @(#)FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #1: Thu Feb 28 12:22:38 CST 2008
>> FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #1: Thu Feb 28 12:22:38 CST 2008
>> 7.0-RELEASE
>>
>> #ls -l /boot/kernel/kernel
>> -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  9294687 Feb 28 12:22 /boot/kernel/kernel*
>>
>> Well, fudging around with uname's source shows that it's basically
>> calling some sysctls, so maybe the question
>> is, with what I have above, why do I still have:
>>
>> sysctl -a | grep kern.osre
>> kern.osrelease: 6.2-RELEASE
>> kern.osrevision: 199506
>> kern.osreldate: 602000
>

> You rebooted, right? :)
>
> Kris

Yes, sir!  Every time I do it, and then some.  ;-)

At this moment, whilst building Yet Another Kernel(tm):

#uptime
 7:13AM  up 15:30, 3 users, load averages: 0.97, 0.37, 0.14

That would've been yesterday's reboot to install the kernel
I remade after Phillip's first response in this thread; or,
perhaps the one when I replaced the re(4) NIC when it stopped
working for unknown reasons (but, eh, with this issue, seems
nothing is guaranteed to escape).

Kevin Kinsey