Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2001 13:01:30 +0900
From:      "Luke Kearney" <lukek@tkh.att.ne.jp>
To:        "Free BSD" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Qmail vchkpw

Hi All,
I am battling away here with my old Pal qmail.  I am going through the
process of converting mail domains to virtual mail domains and as with many
things I am finding qmail is not playing nicely. I went through the standard
process of using vadddomain to create the new virtual mail domain. OK that
seemed to work well with the appropriate files turning up under the
/vpopmail/domains/ folder. In a moment of sheer gusto I then tried to add
myself as a user. Again ./vadduser lukek@domain.org , again the file turn up
in the right place and i thought to give it a test but when I try to login I
get the errors below.

#telnet 0 110
Trying 0.0.0.0...
Connected to 0.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK <943.985664825@vchkpw>
user lukek%hanabitaikai.org
+OK
pass #$@#$
-ERR this user has no $HOME/Maildir
Connection closed by foreign host.

I checked the user directory under the newly created domain and yes there is
a Maildir there which I created using /var/qmail/bin/makemaildir. <-- was
this not such a great idea perhaps ??  In my ignorance I then made a .qmail
file telling it to put everything in ./Maildir/

Perhaps a fresh pair of eyes will see the mistake in my methodology. For
what it is worth the permissions in the directory as follows:

[otemachi:root/577]#ls -la
total 10
drwx------  4 vpopmail  vchkpw   512 Mar 27 11:54 .
drwx------  4 vpopmail  vchkpw   512 Mar 27 11:41 ..
-rw-------  1 vpopmail  vchkpw    34 Mar 27 11:54 .dir-control
-rw-------  1 vpopmail  vchkpw    55 Mar 27 11:41 .qmail-default
-rw-------  1 vpopmail  vchkpw     0 Mar 27 11:41 .vpasswd.lock
drwx------  3 vpopmail  vchkpw   512 Mar 27 12:10 lukek
drwx------  3 vpopmail  vchkpw   512 Mar 27 11:41 postmaster
-rw-------  1 vpopmail  vchkpw   183 Mar 27 11:54 vpasswd
-rw-------  1 vpopmail  vchkpw  2275 Mar 27 11:54 vpasswd.cdb
[otemachi:root/578]#cd lukek/
[otemachi:root/579]#ls -la
total 4
drwx------  3 vpopmail  vchkpw  512 Mar 27 12:10 .
drwx------  4 vpopmail  vchkpw  512 Mar 27 11:54 ..
-rwxrwxrwx  1 vpopmail  vchkpw   11 Mar 27 12:03 .qmail
drwx------  5 vpopmail  vchkpw  512 Mar 27 11:54 Maildir
[otemachi:root/580]#more .qmail
./Maildir/
[otemachi:root/581]#

Any help is really appreciated on this one.

Thanks A Lot