Date:      Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:40:37 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Svein Halvor Halvorsen <svein-freebsd-questions@theloosingend.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   VHS to DVD conversion: problem with firewire, nfs, whatever

I'm trying to convert some of my old VHS cassettes to DVDs as those are
more practical to hadle, and since the tape is becomming worn. I don't
have a video-in intercafe on my wideo card, but I do have a digital MiniDV
camcorder with the ability to do analog-digital pass-through by connection
the output from my VCR tol A/V and the firewire link to my PC. I then
press play on the VCR and use fwcontrol -R on my PC to cature. Peace of
cake!

However: The fwcontrol utility prints out "n blocks padded" once about
every minute, and "fwohci0: IR DMA buffer overrun" gets printed on the
console. I guess my computer is not fast enough to receive the data, and
that this might have something to do with the fact that I'm saving the
fwcontrol output over NFS. Problem is that my laptop don't have the needed
13 GB/hour storage space, and that my only firewire-controller is on that
said laptop.

However, I have a hard time grasping that this should be a problem. I need
about 3.6 MB/s tranfer rate, and when dd-ing from /dev/zero to a file on
the NFS-mounted filesystem, I get more than twice of that. Also the
fw-bus seems fast enough, because I don't get these buffer overruns when
saving to local disk (at least not as often, just once or twice an hour).

Can someone please point me to where I could find some info on either
tuning NFS or my firewire bus. Could I pipe the output through some kind
of buffer on its way to the nfs-mount, that could help a possibly unstable
network transfer rate? How would I go about doing this?

Any pointers?

Svein Halvor