Date:      Sat, 16 Mar 1996 03:49:50 +0100 (MET)
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        gclarkii@main.gbdata.com (Gary Clark II)
Cc:        alk@Think.COM, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: To pick a (perl) fight!

It seems that Gary Clark II said:
> I'm the one that put perl4 into FreeBSD 2.X.  I've got Perl5.002 running here

I'm running it fine too but that's not the problem.

> and SO far no problems.  If someone puts together a bmaked version of
                                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> perl5.002, sends me email and if there is not too much flak,  I'll commit it
> over 4.036....

The problem I see -- maybe falsely I admit  -- is that the building process
is *far*  more   complex than it  used  to  be  with  p5, especially   when
extentions are concerned. I still think it will be too difficult to convert
the Makefiles and will not be worth it.

I completely agree  p5 is the way  of the future  but I am strongly against
putting it in the _base_  system because of   the porting and  maintainance
involved.

Installed p4 is less than 1.5 MB. p5 is more than  7 MB. That's an argument
too. That would bloat us.

Last question: who's gonna _maintain_ it ?
--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.frmug.fr.net
   FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 2.2-CURRENT #6: Mon Mar 11 20:18:10 MET 1996