Date:      Thu, 2 May 1996 14:36:51 +0200
From:      Martin Ostermann <ost@comnets.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problem with FreeBSD as (simple) gateway (PPP/LAN)

Hi,

i got a rather peculiar setup, I guess: I allocated two IP addresses
from out institute for my computers at home. These consist of an
FreeBSD 2.1R PC and a Digital Alpha, running Linux/axp. The PC is
supposed to act as a gateway by the use of PPP. Both machines are
connected via Ethernet, using 10.0.0.0 as network address.

The network address at work is 137.226.4.0. The machine 137...24
(lurker, a SunOS machine) acts as the ppp gateway. The ppp interface
address of the FreeBSD machine is 137...225. It's ethernet address is
10.0.0.1. The Linux machines got the addresses 10.0.0.2, and 137...226
by the use of a "dummy" interface driver.

I added ARP entry's for the Sun, and route entries for all machines. I
recompiled the FreeBSD kernel with the option GATEWAY enabled. What I
observe is this:

Networking between my own machines works as expected, e.g. I can use
either 137...225/226 or 10...1/2 as addresses from either machine and
it works. Also I can connect to the outside from the FreeBSD-box and
the other way round.

However, I cannot reach the outside world from my Linux-box, nor can I
reach the Linux box from the outside. In either case, traceroute stops
at the FreeBSD machine.

Know, what am I doing wrong? Are there additional settings necessary
to enable FreeBSD to act as a gateway? Is there a problem with on
machine of the 137.226.4.0 network being on the 'wrong' side of the
gateway? Does anybody has suggestions for a better setup to solve my
problem?

Thanks for any hints, bye, Martin
--
Martin Ostermann                | mailto:ost@comnets.rwth-aachen.de