Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 2004 11:38:38 -0600
From:      Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   net/freenet -- how does one use it? (possibly broken)

Hody,

Note that this is net/freenet, not net/freenet6 (I tripped over that in
google enough times).

After installing the freenet port, I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to
actually /use/ it. The port doesn't install 'start-freenet.sh' which is
referenced in /usr/local/share/doc/freenet/README. Instead, it appears
that /usr/local/bin/freenet replaces it (though I might be wrong as I
haven't gotten it to work you).

Running that script produces:

$ freenet
Usage: /usr/local/bin/freenet [-h] [-i|-o]
  -h  Display this help message
  -c  Configure FreeNet node
  -i  Start a FreeNet node
  -o  Stop a FreeNet node

Running 'freenet -c' does the same thing, however. Delving into
/usr/local/bin/freenet (it's a shell script), I notice lines like this:

HOME_DIR=${HOME}/.freenet
configure_freenet () {
  echo "Configuring FreeNet node"
  cd ${HOME_DIR} &&
        ${JAVAVM_CALL} -jar ./${JAR_START} freenet.node.Main --config "${@}"
}

Which don't see right ... I don't have a ~/.freenet, and the jar files
are actually in /usr/local/share/java/jar/freenet.

If I manually do:

 /usr/local/bin/javavm -jar /usr/local/share/java/jar/freenet/freenet.jar freenet.node.Main --config

I enter a configuration system. I haven't followed this track because I
have no idea if I'm on the right track or not.

Is there some documentation on how to properly install this port that
I've overlooked? I'm not even sure if I'm supposed to run it as my
regular user or as root, or how to configure a permanenet node, or ...
:-)

Thanks for your time,

-T

--
... the most palpable description of bread is that of hunger.
	Tadeusz Rozewicz