Date:      Thu, 01 Jan 1998 18:36:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Speak Freely core dumps

I'm not sure that multimedia is the correct place to discuss
this, but it deals with the soundcard 8-).

I am running 3.0-SNAP-970608. I've had no trouble with other
sound/audio stuff, but Speak Freely , both from the packages
and ports distributions core dumps while trying to open the
sound card, complaining of "inappropriate IOCTL for device".
The IOCTL is SNDCTL_DSP_NONBLOCK.

Checking the source, this IOCTL is in one of the cases of
a switch statement, so it sounds like it should be allowed.

sfmike dumps when you "key" the microphone by hittin the
space bar and sfspeaker dumps when someone tries to connect
to it. Both seem to fail when the sound device is opened.

Anyone else had this problem?

Jim Durham <Television Engineer-Unitel Mobile Video, Pittsburgh>
  <Computer Consultant/Hobbyist> <Amateur Radio: W2XO>
  <Web:http://www.w2xo.pgh.pa.us>; <Packet:W2XO@W2XO.#SWPA.PA.USA.NOAM>