Date:      Sun, 18 Aug 2002 15:46:10 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Tim <cyberlord@cyberlord.net.dhis.org>
Cc:        Grant Cooper <grant.cooper@nucleus.com>, FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Natd and IP interfaces

On Sun, Aug 18, 2002 at 08:31:28AM -0500, Tim wrote:
> I suppose with proper masking and IP numbers you could make a FBSD router act
> like a switch. But each computer on the network would have it's own subnet
> and you'd have to set up a routing table.

You can make it act like a switch without bothering about subnets and
routing tables.
See http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/bridging.html
for details.

> But since the cost of the extra NICs and the time and trouble to set up the
> tables would be more than the cost of a small hub, it doesn't make sense.

This I agree with in general.  Most of the time it is a better idea to
just buy a small hub or switch.  They are fairly cheap these days.

> It's just not worth it unless you specifically *need* seperate subnets.
>
> Tim
>
> On Sunday 18 August 2002 03:54 am, Grant Cooper wrote:
> > Yeh it's resolved. I was thinking (hoping) FreeBSD had some algorithm magic.
> > How is it not possible to turn your computer into a switch by adding more
> > networking cards. Hubs and routers are so small.

As I mention above, you can do it, but natd is normally not involved in
any way in doing it. And besides, a separate hub/switch/router is
usually a better idea.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson