Date:      Wed, 07 Aug 1996 07:56:53 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: perhaps i am just stupid.

James Raynard wrote:

> [re checksumming dist files before installation]
>
> > > I can see problems fitting this into the download-and-extract-on-the-fly
> > > scheme of things.  For instance, if you're downloading over a modem,
> > > and bin.aa is corrupted, would you really want to have to wait until
> > > everything up to bin.cx has come down before finding it out?
> > > (Especially if it's some sort of systematic error and every file
> > > you've spent the last two hours downloading is corrupt...)
> >
> > Ah, I wasn't advocating putting it into the "automated" path.
> > Rather, consider someone who has *manually* ftp'ed stuff onto
> > their DOS box and then started to unpack it all.  This would
> > give them a tool to test the integrity of each file before
> > gzip chokes on it (which some of the recent posts seem to be
> > griping about).
>
> OK, I was rambling a bit about why things had changed since "the good
> old days".  I think basically we're in violent agreement :-)

> Out of interest, is cksum supplied as a DOS program?  I can't seem to
> find it, but I've only got the 2.1.0 CDROM here.
>
> If it isn't, maybe the best answer would be to port it to DOS in such
> a way that it would handle DOS's feeble globbing, and do any other
> useful things we could think of - perhaps it could put up a simple
> menu where you could say which dists you wanted to install (this
> would also have the advantage of checking that the user had got
> the directory structure right).
>
> (In case anyone isn't familiar with "globbing", if you type "foo *"
> in a Unix shell, the shell expands the * and passes the program the
> names of all the file in the directory.  If you type the equivalent
> "foo *.*" at a DOS command prompt, the program has to work them out
> for itself).

This is why I feel FreeBSD as a whole would be better off with
a Dos based cksum that reads the .sum, (Created by those at FreeBSD)
does a check sum on the file and compared the two all in one
program. And yes it could even get menu driven.. (yuk)

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848