Date:      Fri, 2 Jul 1999 23:27:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        wayne@crb-web.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: poll() vs select()

In article <local.mail.freebsd-hackers/Pine.LNX.3.95.990702160538.27513C-100000@crb.crb-web.com> you write:
>now supports the select() and poll() system calls.  My question is really one
>of usage.  Why would one us poll() over select()?  Is select eventually going
>to go away for some reason?

select() as a user-level call will never go away; there is a large base
of code that uses it.

poll() is faster (it doesn't have to do bit twiddling), and it's interface
is cleaner (it can report invalid fd's, something select() can't do).  As
its functionality is a superset of select()'s, it is used as the internal
implementation for select().

As for new code, use whichever you are comfortable with.  Personally, I
would recommend poll(), since it provides some added functionality over
select() that makes for easier programming.
--
Jonathan