Date:      Sat, 21 Feb 1998 23:03:34 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, sef@kithrup.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More breakage in -current as a result of header frobbing.

> The same thing happenned at my work, until we let live llama loose in
> the office.  Then, if someone made a bad commit, we publically chastised
> them and told them never to do it again, but I think the *real* reason
> was because of the llamas, and not the chasting of the people.  I'm sure
> the reader/writer locks also were why things worked at Novell, and not
> the slapping around.
>
> (ps.  In case you missed, that was sarcasm, playing on the totally
> non-sequiter answer Terry gave.)

The same thing happened at Novell; I just didn't think the llama was
believable, so I left it out.

We added the locks later so that we no longer had to ask the llama
who had made the bad commit, or erroneously chastise people who
had made conncurrent good commits that, taken together, broke things
(who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?  The llama knows!
 but he has a damn hard time telling anybody because he doesn't keep
 log files).

But you're right, it was probably the llama.

(ps. In case you missed, that was sarcasm, playing on the totally
 orthogonal issue of negative reinforcement Nate focussed on, which
 had nothing whatsoever to do with the difference between trusting
 people to do the right thing vs. having the tools *force* people
 to do the right thing whether they remembered to do it or not, which
 was my intended message.  People in slot-cars do not drive except
 where there are slots).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---