Date:      Mon, 7 Mar 2005 15:02:56 -0000
From:      "Alan Jay" <alan_jay_uk@yahoo.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   UPDATE 5.3-STABLE was Re: Possible problems with Broadcom BCM5704C 10/100/1000 on TyanThunder K8S pro S2882 twin Operteron

Hi,

Well after upgrading to the latest -STABLE via cvsup and makeworld makekernel
etc we have been doing some more tests over the weekend.

One of our databases ran fine all weekend so we took the plunge on Sunday to
try our big heavily accessed database.

It ran fine until 7.45 Monday morning - when I checked at 7.30am it was using
around 6 of the 8Gb of RAM the server then logged:

Mar  7 07:42:47 flappy kernel: bge1: discard frame w/o leading ethernet header
(len 4294967292 pkt len 4294967292)

Followed by:

Mar  7 07:42:47 flappy kernel: Fatal trap 12: pag
Mar  7 07:42:47 flappy kernel: e f
Mar  7 07:42:47 flappy kernel: ault
Mar  7 07:42:47 flappy kernel: wh
Mar  7 07:42:47 flappy kernel: ile in
Mar  7 07:42:47 flappy kernel: k
Mar  7 07:42:47 flappy kernel: er
Mar  7 07:42:47 flappy kernel: ne
Mar  7 07:42:47 flappy kernel: l mode
Mar  7 07:42:47 flappy kernel:
Mar  7 07:42:47 flappy kernel: cp
Mar  7 07:42:47 flappy kernel: ui
Mar  7 07:42:47 flappy kernel: d
Mar  7 07:42:47 flappy kernel: =
Mar  7 07:42:47 flappy kernel: 1;
Mar  7 07:42:47 flappy kernel: a
Mar  7 07:42:47 flappy kernel: pi
Mar  7 07:42:47 flappy kernel: c
Mar  7 07:42:47 flappy kernel: i
Mar  7 07:42:47 flappy kernel: d
Mar  7 07:42:47 flappy kernel: =
Mar  7 07:42:47 flappy kernel: 01
Mar  7 07:42:47 flappy kernel:
Mar  7 07:42:47 flappy kernel: fa
Mar  7 07:42:47 flappy kernel: ul
Mar  7 07:42:47 flappy kernel: t
Mar  7 07:42:47 flappy kernel: vi

Subsequently to that it has crashed a number of times and on a couple of
occasions has reported:

kernel: fxp0: can't map mbuf (error 12)

To my uninitiated eye it looks like this might have something to do with the
Network Performance Project which seems to be tinkering in this area but I
would appreciate any thoughts anyone might have regarding this.

By the way over the weekend the latest -STABLE which is marked 5.4-PRERELEASE
2 seemed much better than 5.3 had and the initial problems took much longer to
appear.  Though once the problems started to appear, they repeated themselves
rebooting every 1-2hrs until we removed the tests data.

Thanks for the guidance,
ALan