Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 2009 14:47:54 -0600
From:      Peter Jones <mlists@pmade.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Logical Disk to Physical Drive Mapping

Barry Pederson <bp@barryp.org> writes:
> Peter Jones wrote:
>> Given the situation where you have several identical physical drives,
>> what is the best way to turn logical labels such as da5 into a physical
>> identifier like "the drive in slot 4"?
>>
>> It looks like I could use dmesg, some assumptions, and glabel to label
>> the logical disks.  However, I plan to use ZFS and as far as I can tell
>> glabel doesn't support ZFS.
>>
>> What is the de facto way of doing this?  I'll be using FreeBSD-CURRENT
>> for this, btw.
>
> I've glabeled disks and then added them to ZFS pools, seems to work
> fine.  Here's a raidz2 setup of 8 identical glabeled drives on 7.2

I'm not exactly sure how file system labels differ from disk labels, but
the man page suggests that they both write meta-data to the last sector
of the disk.

Wouldn't that indicate that once ZFS wrote to the last sector of the
disk you'd loose that meta-data?

--
Peter Jones, http://pmade.com
pmade inc.  Louisville, CO US