Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 13:36:11 -0600
From:      "Richard Seaman, Jr." <dick@tar.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Native thread on JDK 1.1.7

On Wed, Mar 17, 1999 at 09:44:45AM -0800, Amancio Hasty wrote:

> We support Linux kernel threads "natively". Post on current for further
> inquiries or
> see http://lt.tar.com.
>
> As for the blanket statement that green threads are faster than kernel threads
> . The current
> kernel thread implementation is not optimal and it needs to be improved
> specially
> in the area of locking.

If "current kernel thread implementation" means the linux threads port,
then three comments:

1) There were some bugs in the spinlock code that are now fixed, as of
yesterday.  Don't know if this is the locking problem you're referring to.

2) I agree that the linuxthreads approach in general is not "optimal",
but its not terrible either (its lots faster than the FreeBSD user
threads implementation on the tests I've run).

3) If you have specific suggestions for improvement for the linux threads
port, I'm happy to incorporate suggestions.  Of course, if your suggestion
is for a true FreeBSD non-GPL kernel threads implementation, I agree, but
I'm not up to it at this point :)

--
Richard Seaman, Jr.           email: dick@tar.com
5182 N. Maple Lane            phone: 414-367-5450