Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 23:01:45 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
To:        A G F Keahan <ak@freenet.co.uk>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TV Users - Let me bounce this off you

A G F Keahan:
 |This sounds like a great idea.   I did something similar for my webcam
 |server/client application using SysV shared memory -- the server part
 |was continuously capturing (and optionally jpeg-compressing) data into a
 |shared memory buffer, and web clients (CGI scripts) were reading and
 |sending that data to the user.

Sounds pretty cool.  If quite a bit more interest perks up, maybe we should
start with yours and see what folks need additionally.

 |However, you need some locking mechanisms that would tell your daemon
 |when it's safe to update the buffer -- you don't want a client to read
 |the first half of one frame, and the second half of another.

Good point.  So I take it your webcam doesn't do a one-shot capture, grab
frame, and repeat.  The server tries to keep the buffer filled with the
latest constantly, and only stops temporarily when the client is using
the buffer?

 |In my application the solution was trivial -- to use a SysV semaphore to
 |lock the buffer for writing, so no-one can read while it's being written
 |into.  But since your idea is much more general, you probably have to
 |think of a more general synchronisation solution.

Certainly some handshaking will be needed, if nothing else to tell the
client when a request has completed.  Maybe semaphores would be the way to
go.

Did you consider having the client do one-shot captures?  Why have the
daemon constantly pumping video into the buffer.  Multiple clients?

--
Randall Hopper
aa8vb@nc.rr.com