Date:      Sun, 4 Jan 1998 18:40:34 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        RiffRaff <RiffRaff@softhome.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why freeBSD, freeBSD vs. netBSD

On Sun, 4 Jan 1998, RiffRaff wrote:

> I read the handbook and the FAQ's of both unix based operting systems and I
> still have a question.
> My problem is:
> 1- In What ways freeBSD is better or worse than netBSD.
> 2- What are the main differences about one and the other

I'll try and answer 1 & 2 (I only regularly use FreeBSD, so I may be
biased).

The FreeBSD project is targeted at providing a complete and powerful
operating system for the PC (i386) architecture. While there are two other
ports under development as of now (to the DEC Alpha and Sun UltraSparc
architectures), so far FreeBSD is a PC-only OS. NetBSD on the other hand,
targets portability. There are NetBSD ports for almost any machine you can
find, and porting it to a new environment is relatively easy.

> 3- Who of them should i choose (I have a pentium 200Mhz with 64Mb of Ram
> and 4Mb S3 virge)
> What I need is a operating system better than linux.

I use FreeBSD on PCs. The main reason (at least IMHO) to use NetBSD is if
you use more than one platform and want compatibility across them.

> Thanks in advance:
> RiffRaff

Nadav