Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 1996 06:09:23 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Gabor Zahemszky <zgabor@CoDe.hu>
To:        sauri@islandia.is (Asgeir Halldorsson)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can not boot???

> At 16:29 24.4.1996 -0400, you wrote:
> >
> >Hello list,
> >
> >I would greatly appriciate and be thankfull for any help.
> >
> >Problem: cannot boot to just installed FreeBSD
> >
> >Hardware:
> >
> >Mather:  DIGIS 486NL
> >Processor: Intel 486SX 40MHz  (8Mb memory)
> >HDD: IDE
> >Controller: VESA local bus S1345 VL IDE&i/o controller
> >Network card: Ether Elita 16 Ultra
> >
> >Please, send me a message if you find any of the components
> >listed above unsupported by FreeBSD. From FreeBSD handbook
> >I got only suspicious about Ethernet card.
> >
> >So I decided to proceed and installed FreeBSD from another
> >harddrive (in minimal configuration). I allocated the whole
> >450Mb disk for it and run Novice instalation. Installation
> >was completed succesfully.
> >
> >However I could not boot to FreeBSD from that disk. The
> >default settings apparently were hanging the computer so
> >I had to give it a cold reboot. If I tryed to specify some
> >other command at the boot prompt, it allowed me to do so,
> >but later kept on rebooting after each hit of Return key.
> >I tryed different partition of the disk but that did not
> >help either.
> >
> >Please help me to find a reason why it happened. Do I have
> >to change the hardware or it can be solved by some other
> >actions, like proper configuration, may be.
> >
> >Thank you for your help in advance
> >
> >     Yegor
> >

> FreeBSD can't boot on Disk 2 i tryed that about 30 times :-(

Sorry, it's incorrect.  I use FBSD 2.1R (from Walnut Creek CD) since January
at home, and it can boot from my PC's 2nd disk.  (I use my old Coherent's
boot program, and it works fine with FB, too.)  I don't know, is it really
a must, but I generate a new kernel for me.  But, of course I have to boot
the new system for it, and it worked.

--
	Gabor Zahemszky <zgabor@CoDe.hu>

Earth is the cradle of human sense, but you can't stay in the cradle forever.
						Tsiolkovsky