Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 1995 21:22:14 -0500
From:      craigh@msn.fullfeed.com (Craig A. Heilman)
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   SCSI controller questions???

Hi all,

I'm in the process of setting up my PC to run FreeBSD (I'll probably buy
the Walnut Creek CD-ROM) and I have a few hardware questions.  Here's my
current hardware configuration:

Magitronic full-tower PC with GA-486VS motherboard
  486/DX2-80 CPU
  8 MB RAM (should I upgrade to 16 for X-windows?)
  256 KB level-2 cache
  3 VL-Bus (VESA) slots
  3 AT-Bus (ISA) slots
  1 XT-Bus (?) slot
  AWARD Bios

BI-711A VL-Bus graphics card (uses Cirrus CL-GD5428) driving a 15" monitor

PTI-255W VL-Bus Super I/O Card
  uses Winbond W83759F, W83757AF, W83758P chipset
  540 MB IDE hard drive (up to 3 additional supported)
  FDD floppy, HDD floppy
  2 serial ports, 1 game port, 1 parallel port

3Com 3C501 Ethernet adapter (free from a friend)

I want to get a SCSI controller to use with the following devices:
  4mm DAT drive (APS)
  CD-ROM drive (recommendations?)
  additional hard drives (recommendations?)

I would like to be able to boot into DOS/Windows/FreeBSD so would it be
wise to get another hard drive?  If so, should I partition each hard drive
for a separate OS?  I've read that the IDE drive has to be the boot drive
(Adaptec literature) - can I put a minimal FreeBSD boot partition on the
IDE drive but use a SCSI drive as the main drive (I'm assuming that a SCSI
drive will be faster)?  Should I get a VL-Bus version SCSI controller or an
ISA version (I'm assuming it would be faster/more efficient in the VL-Bus
slot)?  Since I already have the I/O card, I suppose I just need a basic
SCSI host card right?

If you have a specific card that you think would fit my needs, feel free to
recommend one (I've been looking at Adaptec & Buslogic).  If you also want
to recommend a distributer/dealer to buy from...

Thanks much,

Craig

*  Craig A. Heilman                        Bugaboo Software              *
*  bugsoft@msn.fullfeed.com        Software Engineering & Consulting     *
*  (608) 274-2003                 http://www.msn.fullfeed.com/craigh/    *