Date:      Mon, 18 Jul 2011 22:50:25 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lennart Poettering: BSD Isn't Relevant Anymore

> Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 20:01:20 -0400
> From: Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net>
> Subject: Re: Lennart Poettering: BSD Isn't Relevant Anymore
>
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 22:31:41 +0200
> Polytropon articulated:
>
> > Your TV example is very good. I've recently read a text
> > that predicts the future of CDs - a text from the late 80's.
> > When we consider what we are _currently_ using, the text
> > predicting "no important future for CDs" looks quite funny.
>
> You are undoubtedly familiar with the 1986 quote:
>
> "I think there is a world market for about five computers" a   Remark
> attributed to Thomas J. Watson (Chairman of the Board of International
> Business Machines)

*SNICKER*

So much for your reseearch skills.

"Thomas J. Watson" _died_ in NINETEEN FIFTY SIX.  If  he made a remark in
1986 it would have been world-shaking news.

You are citing a 1986 .sig item from a _USENET_  posting by a Convex Computer
employee.  The purported remark occurred in _1943_.  *IF* it was made, it is
worth noting that, as a prediction, it _was_true_ for *TEN*YEARS*.  Now,
how many other 'predictions' in the field of computing have survived _that_
long?

Reputable sources have it:
   "Although Watson is well known for his alleged 1943 statement: "I think
    there is a world market for maybe five computers," there is scant
    evidence he made it.

There *is* 'some' evidence, albeit _not_ conclusive, that his son, "Thomas