Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 1998 13:52:42 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <zen@buddhist.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Domain must exist"

Greg Lehey writes:
> On Monday, 28 December 1998 at 22:51:34 -0600, G. Adam Stanislav wrote:
> Find the following lines in /etc/sendmail.cf:
>
> # who I masquerade as (null for no masquerading) (see also $=M)
> DM
>
> Change it to:
>
> # who I masquerade as (null for no masquerading) (see also $=M)
> DMwhizkidtech.net

and finish the job with:
# kill -HUP `head -1 /var/run/sendmail.pid`

or reboot (for the lazy).

> > What do I do???
>
> Get the people at pair.com and nso.com to add MX and A records for
> whizkid.whizkidtech.net.  You'll have to tell them your IP address.
> You also don't need to change your sendmail.cf in this case.

This is an area I've been just a bit confused with myself and haven't
seen a definitive answer: the dial-up dynamic IP address situation.
Things are working for me, but am closely monitoring in case its done
wrong.

My ISP provides a DNS entry for nospam.hiwaay.net as 127.0.0.1. So I've
given that hostname to my system. It keeps remote systems with the
latest anti-spam sendmail rules happy when the DM rule on my system
(DMnospam.hiwaay.net) didn't.

Was probably juggling too many variables at the same time as eventually
I set "hostname nospam.hiwaay.net", then in sendmail.cf
"DMnospam.hiwaay.net"and also "DSmail.hiwaay.net" so my deliveries are
handed off while I'm online rather than negotiate and deliver directly
to the remote systems myself.

Fun thing about changing one's hostname is xauthorization has fits
until one's ~/.Xauthority has the appropriate hostnames too.

Also in desperation one FreeBSD list member's email was getting caught
in the following Sendmail 8.9.1 rules so I commented them out:
#R<TEMP> $*             $#error $@ 4.1.8 $: "451 Sender domain must resolve"
#R<PERM> $*             $#error $@ 5.1.8 $: "501 Sender domain must exist"