Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2006 18:42:33 -0400
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Jack Vogel <jfvogel@gmail.com>
Cc:        Kip Macy <kip.macy@gmail.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: em network issues

--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 03:31:53PM -0700, Jack Vogel wrote:
> On 10/18/06, Kip Macy <kip.macy@gmail.com> wrote:
> >I have a Sun T2000 that I generally run with the em driver from as of
> >July in order to avoid watchdog timeouts. One trivial scenario that
> >reproduces the problem with 100% consistency is running the ghc
> >configure script (a 20kloc shell script) over NFS. As the T2000
> >doesn't exactly represent "typical" PC hardware it may not be the most
> >desirable test platform. Nonetheless, let me know if you're
> >interested.
> >Thanks for looking into this issue.
> >
> >    -Kip
>=20
> I'm a bit confused from the way you worded this, do you have watchdogs
> with em, or you use em to avoid them?
>=20
> If you have problems when running NFS then thats a clue, is it TCP or
> UDP based NFS? I am interested, give me details about the setup please.
>=20
> I have one of the engineers in our test organization trying to repro=20
> symptoms
> on a system installed with BETA2, it has shared interrupts between em and
> usb. Any additional stuff he could run would be helpful.

I have been working with someone's system that has em shared with fxp,
and a simple fetch over the em (e.g. of a 10 GB file of zeroes) is
enough to produce watchdog timeouts after a few seconds.

As previously mentioned, changing the INTR_FAST to INTR_MPSAFE in the
driver avoids this problem.  However, others are seeing sporadic
watchdog timeouts at higher system load on non-shared em systems too.

This is in addition to the hardware instances you already know about
where the em driver has not worked going back to 5.x.

Kris

--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd

--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd--