Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 10:33:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        mouss <usebsd@free.fr>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [kernel patch] fcntl(...) to close many descriptors

    I think it is worth doing.  A quick google search shows that
    the linux folks discussed the AIX thingy in March 1999, but
    I don't think they actually implemented.  From the discussion,
    it appears that the fcntl would be useful and (not having seen
    your patches), almost certainly trivial to implement.

						-Matt

:Hi,
:
:I've modified the kerenl to add F_CLOSEM functionality to fcntl.
:(I've seen this in some AIX docs).
:
:The purpose is allow a process to close all its filedescriptors starting
:from a given value without issuing thousands of close() syscalls.
:This may be used for programs that daemonize themselves (or one of
:their children) after some amount of work, when many fd's has been
:opened. The program would simply call
:	fcntl(minclose, F_CLOSEM, 0);
:
:The patch concerns /sys/kern/kern_descriptors.c and fcntl.h
:(and of course the corresponding manpage).
:
:Is this functionality worth inclusion in the kernel (or should I throw
:away the patch)? are there any kind souls to review the patch?
:
:cheers,
:mouss