Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 2008 21:10:18 +0100
From:      "John Wright" <jwright11@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Maple 10 & linux_base-fc6

Hello,

I'm having some problems getting Maple 10 working on FreeBSD and I'm hoping
someone can sort me out.  From the FreeBSD Handbook and from the forums I've
found a way to install Maple 10 and have it recognize FreeBSD as a type of
Linux.  All is well until I actually run it.

See, a few months back I was running 6.3-RELEASE with linux_base-fc4 and I
was able to install FreeBSD and run it, but I couldn't connect to the kernel
because of an rt_sigpending error.  This has been documented and there is a
fix available (a patch).  I was never able to get it working with the patch
and eventually I had a fresh install of 7.0 anyways.  Now I'm using
linux_base-fc6 (because Skype calls for it now) and I've recently tried to
install Maple again.  When I run "xmaple" (the X version) it hangs at the
splash screen.  If I run "maple" I get an error (because I haven't activated
it yet, but that's okay).  I don't want to activate it yet until I know that
it is working under FreeBSD because I've had to keep asking Maple again and
again to reset my Activation code because I've been trying to install and
reinstall a lot.

I also tried installing linux_base-f8 but when I had it installed I didn't
even get the splash screen, it just froze immediately.  One more thing,
there is an "activation" program that is included which you can run
separately from xmaple in order to activate it.  When I run this, the window
for it pops up just fine, and I can enter the activation code and
everything.  So it seems that the command-line Maple is working fine but the
X-window version is not, and I'm not really sure why.  I'd really like to
run the X version so any help is appreciated.

jello# uname -a
FreeBSD jello.hwresnet.org 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #0: Sun Feb 24
19:59:52 UTC 2008     root@logan.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
i386

linux_base-fc6-6_5
xorg-7.3_1

Also, before I sent out this email I tried to run  Maple again and opened a
new terminal to see what processes are running while Maple is frozen, and
I'm not sure what to make of it.  Maybe the reason Maple isn't starting is
Java related?

[wrightjj@jello /usr/home/wrightjj]$ ps
  PID  TT  STAT      TIME COMMAND
 1081  v0  I      0:00.01 -bash (bash)
 1083  v0  I+     0:00.00 /bin/sh /usr/local/bin/startx
 1101  v0  I+     0:00.00 xinit /home/wrightjj/.xinitrc -- -auth
/home/wrightjj
 1107  v0  I      0:00.01 /bin/sh /usr/local/bin/startkde
 1167  v0  S      0:00.10 kwrapper ksmserver
39473  p3  Is     0:00.01 /usr/local/bin/bash
39474  p3  I+     0:00.00 /bin/sh /usr/local/maple10/bin/xmaple
39475  p3  I+     0:00.00 /bin/sh /usr/local/maple10/bin/maple -x
39495  p3  I+     0:02.91 [java]
39496  p3  R+     0:34.92 [java]
39497  p3  I+     0:00.01 [java]
39498  p3  I+     0:00.02 [java]
39499  p3  I+     0:00.00 [java]
39500  p3  I+     0:00.00 [java]
39501  p3  I+     0:00.31 [java]
39502  p3  S+     0:00.02 [java]
39504  p3  I+     0:00.00 [java]
39505  p3  I+     0:00.11 [java]
39506  p3  I+     0:00.00 [java]
39507  p3  I+     0:00.00 [java]
39508  p3  I+     0:00.07 [java]
39509  p3  I+     0:00.00 [java]
39510  p3  I+     0:00.00 [java]
39511  p3  I+     0:00.00 [java]
39512  p3  I+     0:00.04 [java]
39515  p4  Ss     0:00.01 /usr/local/bin/bash
39516  p4  R+     0:00.00 ps
[wrightjj@jello /usr/home/wrightjj]$

--
John N. Wright