Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2001 18:13:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Raistrick <drais@wow.atlasta.net>
To:        john_wilson100@excite.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.4-STABLE machine unusable (was Re: Openssh)

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 john_wilson100@excite.com wrote:

> Guys,
>
> You can say all you like, but something in stable is totally fscked up.   As
> soon as I log in and start doing anything that involves a bit of traffic
> (e.g. tailing a file), the connection freezes and I have to kill it.   sshd
> doesn't die, so I can log in again.  I can reproducibly freeze it by
> doing... well practically anything:
>
> tail /var/log/messages, vi, cat, etc. all freeze the connection.  Strangely
> enough,

I've seen this before, or something that sounds identical.  telnet did the
same thing, and anything over a size i dont remember via http did it as
well.

The workaround I found was to drop the MTU on the ethernet card (a generic
ne2k card at the time, no idea what it was plugged into.) down to 512 and
it was fine.  Move it above 512 and the problems came back.

This was with 3.0 and 3.3 release...that machine was only recently pulled
out of service.  sshd version 1.2.27 [i386-unknown-freebsd3.0], stock
telnet, and i'm not sure what apache.

(happened to /all/ available clients that i could find..)

If i only issued "short" output commands, 1/2 to 1 page (80x24) long, the
problem didnt seem to crop up.  after that, it would hang.

I DID discover that it was still accepting my input....I could do a
"w" from another session, and see the "more" that was running on the other
tty.  hit "q" on the hung session, and i'd drop back to the shell.

I could even logout.

anyway.

...david

---
david raistrick (deep in the south georgia woods)
drais@atlasta.net