Date:      Sat, 28 Dec 1996 08:29:24 -0500
From:      "John D. Szumowski" <harpo@javanet.com>
To:        David Nugent <davidn@sdev.usn.blaze.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pine setup...

David Nugent wrote:

> Andrew Y Ng writes:
> > u have to have an imap server for PINE to work, imho.
>
> No, only if you wish to access your mail from another system
> via the network. For local use, Pine does not use the imap
> server.
>
> > > of my 2.1.5 cd, but haven't been able to get it to work properly. i just
> > > have a dial up account. pine doesn't recognize, or seem to contact my
> > > mail server. what options do i need to change (when i setup my bsd
> > > networking stuff, i didn't bother changing the generic
> > > "myname.mydomain.com"...)
>
> To access a remote mailbox (assuming that you want to access
> your mail box on your /providers/ system, and that your provider
> does in fact run an imap server), then use the mailbox spec
> {your.providers.fqdn}INBOX. For local mailbox, just a path
> to the mailbox is fine (or just INBOX, which is the default
> for /var/mail/yourid). Unfortunately, John, your question was
> sufficiently vague that any advice offered has a good chance
> of being wrong.
>
> > > any help would be appreciated. (yes, i do have mail.javanet.com listed
> > > as the smtp server, and javanet.com as the user domain. what else?)
>
> This suggests you need a local mail reading config, in which
> case, Pine should work. What errors is Pine reporting?

Ok...let me get this straight. Pine works *fine* for local email. That
however, doesn't help since I'm the only user of this machine. Anyways,
I'm waiting to hear from my isp's tech-support as to whether they run
imap or not. I don't know. I just want to be able to pull messages off
my shell account (@ javanet).
Pine, I have heard, doesn't support pop, so I guess I'm going to have to
look into another mail program (which is too bad since pine is pretty
nice).

--
| ((___)) | "You can tune a file system, but you   | ((___)) |