Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 08:41:15 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
To:        aranjan@hss.hns.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'mbuf' implementation in TCP/IP stack related

>  I came across the reference of 'mbuf' implementation in Comer's book on
>  TCP/IP (Vol 2). Can you point me to the source code for TCP/IP
>  implementation so that I can take a closer look.

A mbuf is a memory buffer and is used to hold the incoming or outgoing
packet through the network code. Comer states that the mbuf holds up to
128 bytes of transport data, but there is also an external mbuf type
that can hold much larger data.

In BSD, the important mbuf files are /usr/include/sys/mbuf.h
(aka /sys/sys/mbuf.h) and /sys/kern/uipc_mbuf.c.

There is a good section on MBUFs in the book "The Design and Implementation
of the 4.4BSD Operating System" by  McKusick, Bostic, Karel, and Quarterman;
Addison-Wesley 1996 (a little old, but is a good foundation).

--mark tinguely.