Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 06:46:03 -0400
From:      "Eric Ogren" <eogren@earthlink.net>
To:        <freebsd-doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Handbook: chap 18 rewrite?

Hi -

 For those of you who read -stable, you may have seen a couple of my posts
in
the "make world failed" flamewar. Anyways, in -stable I said that I would
try
to help improve the documentation, so here I am.

 I thought that one way to do this would be to re-write (or heavily modify)
chap 18 of the Handbook, which is the one dealing with FBSD-CURRENT and
FBSD-STABLE.
 Before I started, I had two questions (for now):

 1) Is anybody else already in the process of doing this? I don't want to
step on anyone's toes...
 2) How wedded are people to the current chapter name? To me "The Cutting
Edge" infers
 -CURRENT; -STABLE certainly isn't "cutting edge"; it just has the latest
bugfixes. I was kind
 of envisioning a topology like:

  18. Upgrading via source.
  18.1 Synopsis [include warning about major release upgrades here]
  18.2  Tracking -STABLE (bugfixes)
  18.3 The cutting edge: -CURRENT
  [18.4 Syncing the source tree [CVSup, CTM, CVS] - maybe should be
integrated before 18.2/18.3?]
  [18.5 Using make world? I'm not sure if this should be integrated into
18.2/18.3]

 Anyone have comments/suggestions/ideas?

 Thanks,
Eric