Date:      Sun, 28 Nov 2004 17:28:02 +0100
From:      Rixk Heidt <rixk@heidt.nl>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: How do Dell-Notebooks work with FreeBSD (video/audio/wlan)?

On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 17:11 +0100, M. Hueck wrote:
> > Has anyone any experience with them?
> > Is all of the build-in hardware supported? What about accelerated video?
>
> I'm using an Inspiron 8200 with a nvidia card and the nvidia driver works
> fine.

I have an Inspiron 8500 and using the Nvidia driver at a resolution of
1680x1050 (widescreen).

> > There is some choice about different displays, and some of them have
> > very very high resolutions like 1600x1200 on a 15"-screen. Is such a
> > display usable under X?
>
> I'm using a 1600x1200 15" screen right now with X and its definitely usable,
> not too small at all, and _VERY_ sharp.
>
> > And another very important question:
>
> > Especially I would like to know whether Dell-Notebooks have
> > an line-in, since I'm not certain from the descriptions on the web-site.
>
> My 8200 has a line-in and a mic-in.

However the I8500 does NOT have a line-in, only a mic-in. I'm a bit
disappointed at that, especially since it is supposed to be a
multi-media laptop.

> > Also: is the audio-output very noisy or can I use the line in for any
> > recordings? (I don't need very high quality, but I'd like to record
> > Myself playing guitar and use that as background-music for
> > improvisations).
>
> Audio quality is decent, but not great.

> > I'm not entirely sure, but I think that the wlan hardware kinda works,
> > even if I have to use ndisulator, right? Is there any hope that I don't
> > have use it one day?
>
> I have had the 54 mbit mini-pci card working under linux with ndiswrapper.
> I'd say the same should be possible in FreeBSD, but I yet have to try to get
> it to work.

I'm using a TrueMobile 1150 WiFi card which works fine with the Wavelan
driver (wi).

I'm still looking into infrared support though... (I would really like
to sync my Nokia with Evolution or something).