Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2000 05:45:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Anil Jangity <aj@entic.net>
To:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, <aj@entic.net>
Subject:   Can't remove uid "nobody" files...

IHAU who created some files (don't know how) but I can't seem to remove
them:

id:
uid=1527(roki) gid=1000(shell) groups=1000(shell)

FreeBSD mars 4.2-STABLE FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE #0: Sun Dec 10
11:07:18 GMT 2000     root@mars:/src/sys/compile/kernel.mars i386

roki@mars: ~/public_html/cgi-bin/UltraBoard/Private/Backups % ls -loa
index.html
-rw-r--r--  1 nobody  shell  - 143 Sep 25 22:48 index.html
roki@mars: ~/public_html/cgi-bin/UltraBoard/Private/Backups % pwd
/home/roki/public_html/cgi-bin/UltraBoard/Private/Backups

Two questions:

1. How did he create a file with permissions "nobody"? I tried to do the
same and I either get operation not permitted or it really creates the
file with my uid and not as uid nobody. I even tried to tar -cvf up a file
with uid nobody and then tried to extrat it as normal user... just to see

2. How do I remove them? (I haven't tried to do it as root... just yet)

Thanks in advance.

PS: When replying please make sure my email address is there - not
subscribed to -questions.

Kind regards,

Anil Jangity (Taos)
anil@taos.com