Date:      Fri, 6 Dec 2002 19:46:18 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        chris@pennasoft.com, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: update strategies

On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 09:46:23AM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > From: Chris BeHanna <chris@pennasoft.com>
> > Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 08:32:29 -0500
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
> >
> > On Friday 06 December 2002 00:44, Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wrote:
> > >
> > > I cvsup the source 3x/week via cron, ports slightly less often, and
> > > buildworld when I feel like it (which isn't TOO often) or when
> > > there's a security announcement made.
> >
> >     Polite inquiry:  why are you cvsup'ing so often when you only
> > rebuild seldom?  You're generating extra load on the cvsup mirror that
> > you're using to no productive end.
>
> I'm unsure of the validity of this argument.
>
> It is generating load more often, but each update is small as only the
> changed files are downloaded. There is some (perhaps significant) load
> generated by the test to see which files need to be updated, but
> little traffic moves.
>
> If you only update every once in a while, you will do a large download
> of a great many files.
>
> The issues is whether the public cvsup servers are more concerned
> about I/O and network bandwidth or CPU load. I'll admit that I don't
> know.

But even if no changes have been made there is still quite a bit of
network traffic necessary to find out that nothing has been changed.
(Mostly small packets in each direction but quite a few of them.)
The actual amount of useful data moved will be the same regardless of
if cvsup every day or every week, but there is some overhead each time
that you cvsup that is more or less independent on how much has
changed.
This means that doing a large update every week put less strain on the
servers and the network than doing one every day.
(Since the amount of changes to be transferred are the same, but you
only get one seventh of the overhead.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson