Date:      Tue, 19 Jan 1999 22:31:13 +1100 (EST)
From:      Joel Sutton <Joel_Sutton@bigpond.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Trouble installing 3.0-Release on 386 DX40

Hi,

I'm having trouble installing 3.0-Release onto two clapped out old 386
DX40's that I have kicking about.

I've made a boot floppy out of boot.flp in the standard way and I can boot
and configure devices without a problem. Once the device drivers have
loaded, sysinstall gets stuck on with "Probing Devices" in a dialog box.

However, I am able to change to VTTY2 and the the DEBUG output (which
reports it has found the network, hard drive and floppy drive devices.

Upon inspection of the boot up messages (scroll lock and page up) I've
noticed a conspicuous line "no 387 emulator in kernel". I am particularly
suspicious of this because I have been able to start up sysinstall on my
386DX + 387 co-processor and complete the installation. Another bit of
evidence is that I can also start up sysinstall from 2.2.6-RELEASE on the
386DX40 (no co-processor).

Are there any know problems similar to this? Or could there be a bug in
the boot.flp disk?

If anyone could offer some suggestions, or point out the obvious to me, I
would be most greatful.

My hardware configuration for both problems machines are:

386DX 40 Processor
8 meg 30 pin ram
128k Cache
3c509 Network Card
Multi-io card (IDE, Floppy, Serial, Parallel)
1.44MB  3.5" Floppy
1.2MB  5.25" Floppy
420MB HD on one machine and 501MB HD on the other

Thanks, Joel...

---
Joel Sutton                           jsutton@panic.oeit.vic.edu.au
"This must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays..."