Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 1997 12:15:45 -0500
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Serious performance issue with 2.2.5-RELEASE

On the subject of Re: Serious performance issue with 2.2.5-RELEASE, Nate
Williams stated:

> > > Now Now, not all of us have spare hardware to throw around, besides I've
> > > done
> >
> > Well, now hang on a second..  If you're going to be an ISP, at least one
> > who takes himself and his services halfway seriously, then surely cost of
> > an extra PC (or, as I noted, even just an extra *disk*) is going to pale
> > in comparison to the cost of inflicting instability on your user base.
>
> In defense of Jaye, let's say he did bring in a spare PC, loaded it up with
> 2.2.5 and it worked fine in his 'fake' load environment.  But, when he moved
> it into 'real' production use, it started seeing those kinds of problems.
> Would his problem be taken more seriously then?
>
> (He does seem to imply that it's load related, and as we all know it's
> difficult to simulate real-world load conditions everywhere except the real
> world.)

Thats definatly true.  Ideally I dont believe in upgrades, so a fresh install,
fresh rebuild of everything, and fresh redeploy of everything is the best way
to go.  Im willing to do this under extreme duress (i.e. its all broken) but
since I've hot-upgraded same major releases of FreeBSD dozens of times, and
its never once failed.. Well, its worth the risk to me to save all that time.

It is odd that his 2.2.5 system is behaving badly, when others seem to be
going well.  Perhaps its NFS related?

-Crh

       Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@msu.edu

                         http://pilot.msu.edu/~henrich