Date:      06 Jun 2000 21:29:38 +0100
From:      Harry Newton <harry_newton@telinco.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Size of repository and source trees

In `The Complete FreeBSD' there is a table of the approximate source
tree sizes. In the third edition, it is:

   Component                 | Size (MB)
  ---------------------------------------
   Repository: src/sys       | 53
   Repository: src           | 330
   Repository: ports         | 36
   Source tree: /usr/src/sys | 65
   Source tree: /usr/src     | 225
   Source tree: /usr/ports   | 200
   Object tree: src          | 160

I don't understand why the source tree figures are larger than the
repository figures.  Surely the source trees are created from the
repository ( via RCS/CVS ) and so are _smaller_ that the repository
trees ? ( Because the repository includes the information for _all_
versions, and in the source tree you've just checked out one version ).

Have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick ?

--
Harry Newton
harry_newton@telinco.co.uk