Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 1997 08:13:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mark D Smith <msmith@revolution.3-cities.com>
To:        andrew@ugh.net.au (Andrew)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wd1 timeout

> I get the following mesage when trying to boot:
>
> wd1: interrupt timeout:
> wd1:status 50<rdy,seekdone> error 0
> wd1: interrupt timeout
> wd1: status 50<rdy,seekdone> error 1<no_dam>
>
> Presumably this means my second IDE drive is timing out...in what way? Is
> this a cable problem? I just got a new cable a few days ago althought the
> errors didnt start until today.

Did you add new hardware or change hardware like a CDROM?

This is EXACTLY what happened to me last night when I changed out my
old Toshiba 3401 CDROM for a Plextor 12X.  It appears that the plextor
sucks more power than the toshiba (in my case) and when they were on
the same power feed from the supply, the HDD would time out.

So, try making sure that wd1 is the only device on that internal power
plug.  As for the meaning of the errors, I ain't got a clue but I
would DEFINATLY NOT use that drive until you're sure it's fixed.

Mark