Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 1996 22:13:34 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.hb.north.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: JDK

In article <199606192229.PAA14356@phaeton.artisoft.com> you write:
>> > I'm sure this has been asked before, but I must have missed it.  Is it
>> > possible to run Linux ELF binaries under the FreeBSD Linux emulation?  If
>> > so, how much do I need to upgrade my 2.1R setup to make it work?  Want to
>> > run the Java devkit, but it's all ELF.

You need a -current kernel, and to get 2.1's userland working with
that you need to put at *least* (i'm at -stable here, thats somewhere
between 2.1 and 2.1.5) currents libkvm.so and -current executables
like ps, ifconfig, netstat in your paths, as well as anything else
you will be using that depends on kernel structs or other stuff
that has changed. (top, xperfmon, gdb, ktrace/kdump, ncrcontrol...
well just update anything you come across that stopped working :)
which means you pretty much need either a running current system to
copy from or the cvs tree to build them...)  and actually i now have
a second root fs (on another disk) that i boot from when i want to
use a current kernel, with seperate lib and bin directories for the
updated stuff (that otherwise not lives on the root, that way i dont
have to edit paths every time i reboot the `other' kernel).

 Oh and for the linux JDK i also had to update parts of /compat/linux
but that may no longer be necessary, it was a while ago.

>> [clip]
>>
>> >Otherwise, run a non-bugfixed version (like b2), but don't go out on
>> >the net with it.

 Re. security, even 3.0beta4 and JDK 1.0.2 still are not secure, as i've
just read in RISKS (comp.risks, 18.21)...

 :(
	Juergen