Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 2013 11:47:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@freebsd.org>
To:        Mathieu Simon <mathieu.sim@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD SCSI <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Newer Qlogic FC card support?

> 2013/9/4 Matthew Jacob <mjacob@freebsd.org>
>>

>> The 25XX cards are the latest supported. I have manuals for the newer
>> cards (that I can't release) but no hardware.
>

> Turning the question the other way round (and possibly asking stupid dumb
> question):
>
> If you had access to hardware (and time etc.) then it could be possible to
> see support for
> QLE26xx (16G FC HBA) or QLE83x (10G CNA)?

Part of me says "Sure! That'd be great!".

Part of me says I'm deathly tired of isp and Fibre Channel in general, and
also of FreeBSD. The isp driver is long overdue for a rewrite to trim out
cards that mostly are don't cares at this point. FreeBSD could use first
class FC support as well.

The ideal situation, possibly, would be to get the vendor interested in
actually supporting the h/w by having a real engineer be a committer (much
like Jack Vogel is for Intel NICs). I doubt that will happen any time
soon.

There's just a *bare* possibility that my current paying gig will have me
work on QLogic CNA cards. That might get me an excuse to spend time on
FreeBSD, but probably not with actual h/w (they have like *two* cards and
it's a 2nd order project for them in support of their main h/w).

If anyone in reading range of this email gets all hot and excited about
adding CNA support to isp, or do a newer driver, please speak up!

If nobody speaks up in the next couple of days, anyone who has h/w to loan
please contact me off list. I don't have anything faster than a 4GiB
switch, but I *do* have a couple of 16GiB Emulex cards so I could at least
do point-to-point testing there.