Date:      Tue, 9 Oct 2001 14:44:51 +1300
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>
To:        louie miranda <mirandaj@team.ph.inter.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xwindows / KDE Q.

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 09:35:57AM +0800, louie miranda wrote:
> Hi, on XWIN/KDE - when u lock the screen..
> the screen locks, but when i enter
>
> CTRL + ALT + F1 -- it exits the XWIN/KDE system, and prompts me to terminal1
> and the KDE is still running and if i press CTRL + C the KDE/WIN
> cancells/shutdowns..
>
> what can i do to prevent this from happening?

You could read the port notes /usr/ports/x11/kdebase2/pkg-message:

	************************** I M P O R T A N T ****************************

	This package (kdebase2) installs a program called kcheckpass which is
	used by kdm or screensavers to check the user's password.  This activity
	requires it to be setuid root.  However, for security reasons, FreeBSD
	leaves the setuid bit on this binary off by default, for several reasons.
	First, some people may not use screensavers or kdm at all.  Second,
	others may choose to use a different screensaver or display manager
	utility.  And finally, there may be holes in kcheckpass which can be
	exploited to gain root privileges.  FreeBSD chooses not to take that risk
	with the default package.  If you decide that you need it setuid root,
	you can make it so:

		chmod u+s ${PREFIX}/bin/kcheckpass

	..where ${PREFIX} is the prefix where this package was installed.  It is
	typically /usr/local but may also be /usr/X11R6 or /usr.

--
Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>