Date:      Sat, 29 May 1999 08:26:20 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        tw@ettnet.se
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: aspfilter

Thomas Widlundh wrote:

> Andreas wrote:
> > three possibilities here
> > a) buy larger disk ;-)
> > b) become creative and comment out some of the RUN_DEPEND lines
> > c) I could trim the RUN_DEPEND's to the necessary ones and add
> >    some lines to include all when BATCH is defined for package
> >    building, so that an apsfilter package comes with every feature
> >    turned on when installing from CD .. But then again, you might
> >    run out of diskspace ...
> >
> > All in all a) and b) seems very practical to me in this situation.
> > Andreas Klemm
>
> Thanks for Your answer, Andreas.
> Well, I have two disks on this machine. No1 is 425MB and No2 635MB.
> Eralier I had OS/2 on No1 and Linux on No2.
> Now I have FBSD / on No1 and /usr on No2.
> I've tried to put in a larger disk, but inspite of the board manual,
> larger disks aren't detected. I now suspect the limit would be around
> 800MB somewhat, but with this in mind, my constallation now is bigger
> than that. And it's difficult to find "old sizes" in the market.

Hi Thomas,

What happened earlier when you tried the larger drives? The first set
of problems we had with PC's was at 504MB (1023 cylinders, 16 hds, 63
sectors) but you have a drive larger than that. That means you have
LBA of sorts, at least, and the next problem was at several gigabytes.
If you are going to play with the new stuff, you need more drive
space. The smallest drive they can manufacture anymore is 3.4GB (a
single platter).

What kind of BIOS do you have? Does your BIOS support drive type 47 or
user, which you can enter parameters by hand.

Do your HD's hook up to card in an ISA or VL bus slot?

If your system is old enough, have you tried some of the year 2000
tests. Some of the really old BIOS' that you had to enter parameters
by hand will have Y2K problems. If you have one of this old computers,
they also make cards that you place in ISA slot that replace bios and
fixes Y2K problem. These cards are also a little bit smarter when it
comes to new HD drives.

Kent

> OK. I didn't have aspfilter on Linux, but I had TeTex and LyX and som
> more. And the printer worked, even with graphics from xv and netscape.
> I was somewhat surprised when I d/l:ed aspfilter with the hugh amount
> of dependances, which took all my diskspace.
> I'm shure it's an excellent program, and I will give it a try when I'm
> happy enough to get more diskspace.
> Meanwhile I want to get the printer working. Even in netscape with
> graphics. Somehow.
> Regards,
> Thomas

Kent Stewart