Date:      Sat, 22 Dec 2001 02:44:05 +0000
From:      Dominic Marks <dominic_marks@btinternet.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Another crash with fsx?

Hey,

Could someone test the following:

# mdconfig -a -t malloc -s 4m -u 0
# disklabel -r -w md0 auto
# newfs /dev/md0c
# tunefs -n enable /dev/md0c
# mount /dev/md0c /mnt
( the above is directly copied from `man mdconfig')
# cd /mnt
# ~/fsx test.file

On my machine this produces a hard freeze, I have to hold the power
button on the case for several seconds to get a reboot.

I found something else when I discovered the above behavior. If you
try and start X while a background fsck is working the machine will
lock up and then reboot of its own accord.

I'm going to test without setting softupdates now.

# uname -a
FreeBSD gallium 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #3: Fri Dec 21
22:06:00 GMT 2001     dominic@gallium:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GALLIUM
i386

I can provide any other information you need on request.

--
Dominic