Date:      Thu, 9 Oct 1997 22:18:14 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Kenneth Merry <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        ken@plutotech.com, tlambert@primenet.com, sos@sos.freebsd.dk, lederer@bonn-online.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, gibbs@plutotech.com
Subject:   Re: HP 7100i

Mike Smith wrote...

> > > The CAM stuff should remove this distinction; one wonders how NetBSD
> > > would do with this?
> >
> > 	CAM will only remove that distinction if someone implements an
> > ATAPI/IDE transport layer for it.  The CAM code currently only supports
> > SCSI.
>
> I was just about to mail Justin and ask if there was any documentation
> on writing code to layer under his new CAM stuff.  I have a copy of the
> T13 1153Dr16 document here, and have been studying it in a little
> detail.
>
> So, is there?

	Well, nothing specifically about the FreeBSD implementation.  But,
there are the CAM and CAM-3 specs:

http://www.symbios.com/x3t10/io/t10/drafts/cam/cam-r12b.pdf
http://www.symbios.com/x3t10/io/t10/drafts/cam3/cam3r02.pdf

	I think the way to go, if you want to add IDE support to the
FreeBSD CAM code, is to write another transport layer to go alongside the
current transport layer.  Justin can elaborate on it a little more.  (I've
CCed him..)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry