Date:      Wed, 7 May 1997 11:57:23 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Maxim Bolotin <max@rnd.runnet.ru>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        "Vasily V. Grechishnikov" <bazilio@economic.acnit.ac.ru>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Broken NetWare 3.12 TCP/IP support ?

On Tue, 6 May 1997, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > 		      world ( Near router 147.45.142.17)
> > 			^
> > 			|			class C net 193.233.113.0
> > 		FreeBSD box( 2.2-BETA)
> > 		|<-ed0 .1	 | <-ed1 .17
> > 	      LAN0	       LAN1
> > 				 |------NetWare 3.12
> > 				 |  ^ . 19	| <- .50
> > 				 |  	       LAN2
> > 			.18 ed0->|------FreeBSD box( 2.2R)
> > 				 |	 |<-de0 .33    |<- ed1 currently broken
> > 				 -      LAN3	     LAN4
> >
> > 	We have a some problems with LAN2 . Any action from that LAN (ping,ftp,
> >  i.e) will failed at stage of forwarding packets from LAN1 cable to any
> > other, but only if on FreeBSD boxes not running routed -s . NetWare 3.12
> > configred as a router.
>
> [ ... ]
>
> > 	Any suggestions ?
>
> Old NetWare will not support split netmasks correctly.  If you have two
> cards on the netware server, the must have identical netmasks.  In
> addition, for 3.11 or 3.12, I believe that the netmasks must be on
> 8 bit boundries, or they won't work (like old Linux networking, it
> doesn't support splitting a netmask on bit boundries).
Yeah! You're right, but you can donwload new NLMs from ftp.novell.com
with new version TCPIP.NLM (+ TCPCON, INETCFG,...) It'll look and work
like NetWare 4.1 (or 11) TCPIP. It support CIDR, It can run RIP2, OSPF,
and EGP.
We're using 3 netware servers with 3.12, and 4.1. It run OSPF fine.
Every Server has 5 NC.

		Max.

> You don't give the 'names' of your wires, other than the top
> level one (named 193.233.113.0/255.255.255.0), so this is mostly
> speculation from my own experience using NetWare boxes as IP
> routers at Novell, Sandy.
>

> 					Regards,
> 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@lambert.org
> ---
> or previous employers.

-
Rostov State University   Computer Center
Rostov-on-Don, +7 (8632) 285794 or 357476
Russia, RUNNet, MAB1-RIPE    max@run.net.