Date:      Sat, 12 Aug 2006 00:02:54 -0400
From:      "lnelson" <lnelson@naxostech.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Odd problem with Intel em driver

(sorry if this ends up as a dupe, it I think I sent it wrong the first time)

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 13:23:03 +0400, Gleb Smirnoff wrote
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 01:27:42AM -0400, lnelson wrote:
> l>   I'm having an odd problem with the Intel em driver.  It's
> l> built into the kernel by default, but it won't recognize
> l> the part.
> l>
> l>   However, if I grab the driver source from the Intel website,
> l> compile it as a KLD, and put it in loader.conf, it works.
> l> The odd thing is that it complains that it is already loaded,
> l> and acts as if it is refusing to load the module.

> FreeBSD is always a bit behind in the version of the driver. First driver
> appears on Intel website, and later is merged to FreeBSD.
>
> Currently in 6-STABLE we've got version 6.0.5 driver. First you
> should try to update to 6-STABLE. If this doesn't help you should
> wait few weeks until driver 6.1.4 will be present in 6-STABLE.

Hi, Thanks for the info.

What I ended up doing was updating to RELENG_6_1 (6.1 p3) and
recompiling the kernel without the stock em driver. Now I am loading
and using the intel 6.1.4 KLD.  So far it seems to work but it hasn't
been hammered on yet.

You recommended waiting until 6.1.4 hits STABLE.  Is there a problem
with the Intel 6.1.4?  Do you guys make a lot of changes to the Intel
driver before it gets integrated?

Is there anywhere I can go to read up on the diffs between RELENG_6_1
and 6-STABLE?  This machine is going in production as our primary
database server so I want run as little experimental stuff on it as
possible.

Lastly I'm a little concerned that stock 6.1 RELEASE would load and run
the KLD, after giving an error that it couldn't load it because it was already
compiled in.  Do you think that qualifies as a bug?  Should I report it?

Thanks again,

Lee

--
Naxos Technology