Date:      Mon, 05 Mar 2001 15:50:21 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Rick Knebel <rknebel@uplink.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help with bootup

Rick Knebel wrote:

> I was editing my /etc/rc.conf and obviously made a mistake.
> It stops on bootup and will not let me continue.
> How can I get into my system to edit my mistake.

While the system is booting, you'll see a message that says "Press Enter
to boot right away or any key for ... bla bla bla"
The system will then start counting down from 9. Press a key other than
ENTER before it reaches 0. Then you'll get a prompt, enter "boot -s"
which will boot the system in single-user mode (sort of like "safe" mode
on Windows) You'll be asked for a shell (I always accept the default)
then thrown into a shell prompt. From there you'll be able to repair
your rc.conf file and reboot the system.

-Bill