Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 1996 22:47:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>, grog@lemis.de, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I write this SGML stuff?

On Tue, 4 Jun 1996, John Fieber wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Jun 1996, Chuck Robey wrote:
>
> > They're in linuxdoc, they're just undocumented.  I know how to do them in
> > troff and LaTeX, and our man pages have them.  Our handbook is full of
> > them, Jordan, but they're all done but suspending the formatting, because
> > no one can figure out how to do it right.  That's not the only example.
>
> No, the primary reason they are not done is that lynx does not
> handle them and browsing the handbook with more is rather less
> than ideal.  Also, tables don't come out in the in the HTML
> anyway, although when I get a spare moment, I'll change that.
> The moment linux supports tables, we can launch an all out
> assault on the stuff in the handbook that needs it (and there is
> plenty!).
>
> So, without further delay, behold a table!

> <tabular ca="ccc">
> </tabular>
> <caption>This is the caption</caption>

OK.  if "ccc" means what I think it does, column 1 centered, column 2
centered, and column 3 centered, this is great.  There should be others,
like l, r (obvious), s (continue column), and n(decimal).  Let me look at
the linuxdoc stuff, see how this works (or doesn't).  If it's broke in
troff mode, I'll fix it.

If I fix this, will you document it?

> This works for ascii and LaTeX output.  The ca attribute is what
> you specify for your column formats in LaTeX, which is apparently
> pretty similar to what us use for in the troff world since the
> results are the same.
>
> -john

> == http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |