Date:      Tue, 28 Feb 1995 11:21:27 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, roberto@blaise.ibp.fr
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, phk@ref.tfs.com
Subject:   Re: Disappearing space in root fs.

>Another sympthom is : do a make install in sbin/bin/lkm with not enough
>space on it to contain all the / executables and two kernels (that is my
>current situation, my root partition size is inherited from my 1.1.5.1
>setup and is only 12 MB).

I think this is a different problem.  Some libraries (libc...) are in
use.  It isn't open, but it is mmapped.

>At some point it will say "No space left on device" and all the binaries
>that were not installed take space till the next fsck :-(

The usual point is for libc.  Install should be more careful about disk-
full errors.  It unlink()s the target so it has no way to recover from
disk-full errors.  Perhaps it should copy the source to the target file
system and then use unlink() and rename().

Bruce