Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2006 09:33:56 +0200
From:      Karsten Fuhrmann <karsten_fuhrmann@cartoon-film.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   fetchmail -> sendmail problem

Hello,
i have a problem with some strange spam emails, which lock up my
email reception.
The problem is the following : I am using fetchmail to download my
email (from a pop3 server), and fetchmail passes the email to my
local sendmail daemon who gives it to my local imap server (cyrus).
This works fine. But sometimes i got a spam email, which has an
unresolveable dns origin, and this makes my sendmail crazy in a way,
that sendmail wants to resolve but gets a timeout (around 20s). In
the meantime the fetchmail which is actualy waiting for sendmail to
accept the message gets a timeout from the pop server where it is
connected to.
Because of that timeout fetchmail stops receiving email from pop
server and tries again next time, but next time it will start with
the same spam email again, and it all starts again, actually no more
new mails will arrive until i delete this particular email from the
pop server manually.

Is there a way to tweak the timeout behavior of sendmail, or maybe
even no dns resolve option for sendmail, or even better some way to
tell fetchmail to use the idle command to keep the connectio to the
pop server open ?

Greetings,
Karsten Fuhrmann

Cartoon-Film Thilo Rothkirch