Date:      Sat, 28 Jun 1997 03:32:23 -0400
From:      "Troy Settle" <rewt@i-Plus.net>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Tim Oneil" <toneil@visigenic.com>
Subject:   Re: Adding second ISA IDE host adapter...

From: Tim Oneil <toneil@visigenic.com>
>At 01:57 AM 6/26/97 +0000, you wrote:
>>I just purchased a IDE controller card that I wish to use with the
>>built-in IDE controller in my mainboard.  I added the statements in the
>>kernel file and rebuilt the kernel.
>>
>>current statements (in /sys/i386/conf/MYKERNEL)
>>device          sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
>>device          sio1    at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr
>>device          sio2    at isa? port "IO_COM3" tty irq 5 vector siointr
>>device          sio3    at isa? disable port "IO_COM4" tty irq 9 vector

First off, what does an IDE controller have to do with sio*?  sioN are your
serial ports

>>However, the kernel can not find the device.  I set all of the necessary
>>jumpers on the card (COM3, irq 5).
>>
>>Can anyone help?  Did I forget something?

try wdcN instead --
controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
controller      wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 vector wdintr

>com 3 irq 5??? Not usually. Try setting that back down to
>2.

Yes, com3/irq5 works great for internal modems, and some of the more
expensive serial controllers.  Normally, com3 would use IRQ 4, but this
causes a conflict if com1 is also in use.

At one time, I had 3 modems, a serial terminal, and a serial mouse
installed.  Used IRQs 2,3,4,5, and 10, don't remember the I/O addresses.

ttyl,

Troy Settle <st@i-Plus.net>
Network Administrator, iPlus Internet Services
http://www.i-Plus.net